A few days ago we posted about a decision-making tool for germplasm users to work out what access and benefit sharing arrangements are likely to be relevant to them. Today, from Bioversity and partners, comes a tool that addresses the other side of the ABS equation: what do countries need to do to implement the provisions of the International Treaty? Here are the specific questions it addresses:
- Who is responsible for promoting and coordinating national implementation?
- What is facilitated access to PGRFA under the multilateral system and who has the right to facilitated access?
- Who may authorize access to PGRFA under the multilateral system?
- What processes and criteria should be followed to consider requests for PGRFA included in the multilateral system?
- How to deal with requests for purposes that are (or may be) beyond the scope of the multilateral system?
- What PGRFA are automatically included in the multilateral system?
- How to encourage voluntary inclusions by natural and legal persons?
- How to ensure legal space for the implementation of the multilateral system?
- How to address benefit-sharing?
- How to deal with reporting obligations regarding transfers and sales?
- Who monitors the use of PGRFA under the multilateral system and enforces the multilateral system’s terms and conditions?
Now there really is no excuse for ignorance.